-large mixing bowl
-5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
=1/2 cup white sugar
-1 large egg
-3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon cream of tartar
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/8 teaspoon table salt
-1/4 teaspoon fancy salt, for sprinkling on cookies at end (Himalayan pink salt is a good one)
-2 to 3 large candy canes, or many mini ones
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Beat your softened butter for a minute in your bowl, then slowly add in sugar, egg, and extract.
4.Stick your candy canes into a bag, turning it into a 'candy cane dust' by crushing it with the flat side of your meat mallet.
5. Put all the candy cane mixture (reserving some to top with) into your bowl, adding in the rest of your ingredients (excluding fancy salt) in as well.
6.Beat the mixture well, and try to aim for about a dozen little rounds from your mixture. I love giant cookies, so I made six.
7.Once all cookie rounds are on the sheet, top with remaining candy cane dust
8.Stick the cookie sheet into the freezer (yes, freezer) for twenty minutes.
9.Pop the cookies into the oven until the edges are golden brown, which should take 10-13 minutes.
10. Take cookies out, let them rest on sheet for about two minutes, then shift them to the cooling rack.
happy holidays! xoxo